This recipe is a cross between one I found on Smitten Kitchen as well as one from good old Martha. I used the dough recipe from Smitten Kitchen (they are just so convincing in their narratives), but more closely followed Martha’s preparation of filling ingredients because, well, it was closer to what I had in my fridge.
I followed this Smitten Kitchen recipe directions completely.
1 pound of broccolini washed and cut into 3-4 inch stalks half – with thick spears cut in half lengthwise.
2-3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese
3/4 cup of goat cheese
salt and pepper to taste
To prepare filling:
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil into a large skillet on medium-high heat and drop in sliced garlic for about 15 seconds until soft.
2. Add cut and washed broccolini and toss on high heat in pan with desired salt and pepper for about 5 minutes then remove from heat. Add lemon juice and toss. [Note: I stored my broccolini and made my dough the night before; allowing me to just assemble and bake today]
3. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Roll out pastry dough on parchment paper and add half of your parmesan across the bottom center of the dough where your broccolini, garlic and goat cheese will be piled.
5. Add broccolini, garlic and crumbled goat cheese evenly onto the pastry center.
6. Fold sides and transfer to baking sheet.
7. Brush the top/exposed pieces of goat cheese and broccolini with olive oil, and brush exposed pastry crust with egg wash.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes before transferring to plate.
[Note: baking on parchment paper made it extremely easy to transfer to dish]